Historical Articles written by Our Members and External Contributors for 2011
Sadly due to austerity cuts we are short of funding to produce our History Alive- Tameside magazine for 2011.
We have, however, created this space where articles will shortly begin to appear. Anyone wishing to contribute ahould send their articles in electronic format to Jill Cronin for pre editing at: firstname.lastname@example.org. We will no longer be limited on space and can include large good quality images. Remember though, that people reading articles on-line prefer short paragraphs with lots of white space and good images.
To make Jill's job as Editor and mine as Webmaster easier, please download a copy of our suggested quidelines. articleguidelines.pdf Please get writing.
Gay Oliver November 2010
- 31 January 1912 - Centenary of the first performance of Tipperary in the Grand Theatre, Stalybridge.
- February 1912 - Centenary of the opening of St Gabriel’s church, Cockbrook, Ashton.
- Good Friday 1862 – opening of Albion Sunday School, Penny Meadow, Ashton-under-Lyne.
- March 1912 – start of Newton Cricket Club, Hyde.
- 1862 – start of Charlestown Congregational Church in temporary premises.
- July 1862 – Stalybridge Mechanics Institute opened on High Street.
- 1812 – bicentenary of the Luddite riots in Ashton, Dukinfield and Stalybridge.
- September 1912 – opening of the new building for Hyde Grammar School on Clarendon Road.
- March 1862 – Hyde Co-operative Society established.
- November 1912 – Ada Summers elected to Stalybridge Council.
- June 1832 – opening of Cheetham Park.
- 22 April 1862 Randal Munday, poet and traveller, born in Stalybridge.
- 7 September 1912 Opening of West end School, Ashton – the first Ashton Council School.
About Us | Recent
Work | Our Members | Upcoming
Events | Join Us | Contact
Us | Links